DDuring COVID-19 pandemic, many of us got the chance to see what it was like to teach our kids. Some enjoyed it, while others would rather have an elective root canal. Whichever side of the fence you are on, I am sure we can all agree that our teachers need a big fat raise!!
While the kids got a chance to see what it was like to be “home schooled”, many families will be contemplating home schooling this next year. If you take the right approach, this can be a great way to spend more time with the kids and allow more flexibility. Our friend, Amber Moellendorf, began home schooling her kiddos last year and has provided some tips to ensure success.
1. You have to be sure you are on the same page with your kids. Be sure their hearts are also into the idea of homeschooling.
2. Brace yourself for struggles and disagreements. There will be many tears, arguments, etc.
3. If you are married be sure you both are also on the same page. Full support from the spouse is needed to make it work.
4. Find curriculums that work for your child, even if it means picking and choosing from different curriculums. You do not have to stick with a set curriculum.
5. Give your child the freedom to be a kid. You decide what works best…either a set schedule, or changing up the pace from day to day.
6. Your patience will be tested and you will at times feel like giving up, don’t. Once you make the commitment, work through it and give it a fair chance.
7. Join a co-op in your area. Cannot stress that enough. You as the parent will need the support from the other home school parents, and it will relieve some of the stress on a few of the subjects.
8. Make sure your kids are involved. Involved in social events and lots of them, sports, etc. They will feel much more a part of something if they have that connection.
9. Plan your curriculum based on your kids interests and life goals. Choose things that will help them in their career path
10. Make the most of these years with your kids. Make it fun and make it memorable.
For more information:
Hill Country Christian Homeschoolers
Boerne Area Christian Homeschoolers (BACH)
The Home School Mom